Quinoa (pronounced ‘keen-wha’) is a gluten-free grain, rich in protein, calcium & iron.
- 200 g quinoa, rinsed
- 500 ml vegetable stock
- 6 spring onions
- 100 g roasted unsalted cashew nuts
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 ½ tbsp lemon juice
- 1 large avocado or a good handful of raisins
- Put the quinoa and stock in a saucepan. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer until all the liquid has been absorbed (approx 20 minutes).
- Spread the quinoa out on a plate to cool, then transfer to a bowl.
- Stir in the onions, cashews, oil and lemon juice and season to taste. Stir in the raisins if using.
- Chill until needed. If using avocado, slice the avocado just before serving and lay over the top of the salad.