Pack in your 5-a-day with these fruity flowers made out of pineapple & melon.
- 1 large ripe pineapple, all skin removed
- 1 cantaloupe melon, halved and skinned
- 7 1/2 flower shaped cookie cutter
- round melon baller
- round cookie cutter, the same diameter as the melon baller
- 12 wooden skewers
- 12 green straws
- Cut the pineapple into round slices around 1cm (generous ¼ inch) thick. Use the flower-shaped cookie cutter to cut 1 flower from each slice. It may be easier to press the cutter into the pineapple then cut around the shape with a small sharp knife. Use the round cutter to cut a hole in the centre of each flower.
- Pat the pineapple flowers with kitchen towel to remove excess juice. Carve 12 balls of melon. Make the flower centre by pushing a melon ball through the hole cut in each pineapple piece. Thread each flower onto a skewer (going through the pineapple and the melon) to secure. Cover the skewer with a green straw.