Penne Pasta with Aubergine & Mozzarella
A simple & classic pasta bake brimming with veggies to help towards your family’s 5-a-day.
- 1 medium aubergine, diced
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 shallots, chopped
- 1/2 red chilli, de seeded and diced
- 1 stick of celery, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2x400 g tinned chopped tomatoes
- a dash of sugar
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 50 g parmesan, grated
- 4 tbsp single cream
- 2 tbsp fresh basil, chopped
- 250 g penne
- 50 g mozzarella pearls
- Preheat the oven to 200C / 400F.
- Put the aubergine into a baking tray lined with non stick paper.
- Add 2 tbsp of oil and season. Roast for about 20 mins until soft and golden.
- Heat the remaining oil in a saucepan. Add the shallots, celery, chilli and garlic. Fry until soft , then add the tomato puree, oregano and sugar. Bring up to the boil, then simmer for 15 minutes until reduced . Season to taste.
- Blend the sauce until smooth using a hand blender. Add the Parmesan and cream and heat gently until melted. Add the basil.
- Cook the pasta in boiling salted water until tender, drain reserving the 100 ml of pasta water.
- Mix the pasta with the sauce. Aubergine and mozzarella. Season well. Add a little pasta water to the sauce if too thick.