Mulligatawny Chicken Curry
Big on flavour & packed full of fruits & veggies, this curry is a family favourite & tastes great served with fresh & crispy poppadoms.
Please log in to view this recipe
- Free e-recipe book on sign up
- Access to exclusive recipes & content
- Exclusive offers on AK products
- Great competitions and prizes
- Never miss a thing with our newsletter
- 1 chicken, cut into about 8 pieces
- a little plain flour for coating
- vegetable oil for frying
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 tbsp mild curry powder
- 6 tbsp tomato puree
- 900ml chicken stock
- 1 cooking apple (about 225g) peeled, cored and thinly sliced
- 1 large carrot, thinly sliced
- 2 lemon slices
- 75g sultanas
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 tsp light soft brown sugar
- a little salt and black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 180C / 350F.
- Trim any fat from the chicken and trim the skin. Coat the chicken with a little flour seasoned with salt and pepper.
- Fry in the oil until lightly golden, then drain on kitchen paper and place in a casserole dish. Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a frying pan and sauté the onions for about 10 minutes or until softened but not coloured.
- Stir in the curry powder and the puree and cook for a further 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in 2 tablespoons of flour, then stir in 300ml (10 fl oz) of the stock.
- Add the sliced apple, carrot, lemon slices, sultanas, bay leaf, brown sugar and the remaining stock. Season with salt and pepper.
- Pour the sauce over the chicken in the casserole, cover and cook in the oven for 1 hour.
- Remove the lemon slices and bay leaf, take the chicken off the bone and cut into pieces before serving.