Melting Witch Cupcakes
Say goodbye to the Wicked Witch of the West with these melting lemon cupcakes, perfect for Halloween parties.
- 110 g unsalted butter at room temperature
- 200 g caster sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 150 g self-raising flour, sifted
- 125 g plain flour, sifted
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 150 ml semi skimmed milk
- 1 tsp lemon zest, grated
- 200 g icing sugar
- 80 g unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp cream cheese
- Oreo Cookies
- Hershey’s Kisses
- Matchmaker chocolates
- Red fondant (or white fondant coloured red using food colouring)
- Preheat the oven to 180C / Fan 160 C / 350 F. Line a muffin tin with 12 paper cupcake cases.
- To make the cupcakes, measure all of the cake ingredients into a bowl. Whisk together until smooth.
- Spoon the mixture into the cupcake cases until two thirds full. Bake in the oven for about 25 minutes and they are raised and lightly golden. To check they are cooked you can insert a skewer or toothpick into the centre of one of the cakes and it should come out clean.
- Remove from the oven allow to cool down a little and then arrange the cupcakes on a wire rack to cool down completely.
- To make the frosting, sift the icing sugar and gradually beat it into the butter using an electric mixer until smooth. Slowly beat in the lemon juice and cream cheese at the end. Chill until needed. Pipe the icing on top of the cupcake using a piping bag with a star shaped nozzle. Alternatively use ready make frosting.
- To make the witches hat, separate the Oreo Cookies that are sandwiched together and scrape out the filling. Using a little of the icing attach a Hershey’s Kiss to the split cookie to form the hat.