Put cauliflower cheese & macaroni cheese together for a rich, gooey & incredibly satisfying dinner. Top tip, steam the cauliflower so that it blends smoothly into the sauce.
Please log in to view this recipe
- Free e-recipe book on sign up
- Access to exclusive recipes & content
- Exclusive offers on AK products
- Great competitions and prizes
- Never miss a thing with our newsletter
- 200 g cauliflower florets
- 1 tbsp cornflour
- 250 ml milk
- 55 g mature Cheddar, grated
- 55 g Gruyere cheese, grated
- 2 tbsp Italian hard style cheese
- 2 tbsp mascarpone or crème fraiche or ¼ tsp Dijon mustard
- 185 g macaroni
- 4 tbsp fresh breadcrumbs (1 slice bread, crusts removed)
- 4 tbsp Parmesan, grated
- Break the cauliflower into small florets and steam for 15-20 minutes, until soft.
- Meanwhile put the cornflour in a saucepan and whisk in the milk. Heat the milk gently, whisking constantly, until it comes to the boil and thickens to a sauce. Simmer for 1 minute then remove from the heat and stir in the cheeses, mascarpone and mustard.
- Blend the sauce with the cooked cauliflower until smooth and season to taste with salt and pepper. Cook the macaroni according to the packet instructions and drain well. Return to the pan and add the sauce and stir over a low heat for 1-2 minutes, until hot.
- For the optional topping, mix together the breadcrumbs and cheese. Preheat the grill to high. Spoon the macaroni cheese into a heatproof dish and scatter over the cheesy breadcrumbs. Grill for 2-3 minutes, until golden.