Rice pudding is a classic dessert almost all children love. Best of all, it uses ingredients you probably already have and it’s super easy to prepare. To give this pudding recipe a bit of pizzazz, why not stir in some stewed plums or strawberry jam for a fruity flavour? Alternatively, sprinkle in a dash of cinnamon for a more flavourful taste.
- 30 g pudding rice
- 300 ml whole milk]
- 1-2 tbsp caster sugar
- 1 vanilla pod or ½ tsp vanilla essence
- 1 low sugar strawberry jam (optional)
- Put the rice, milk and sugar in a heavy bottomed saucepan.
- Split the vanilla pod, if using, and scrape the seeds into the pan, or add the vanilla essence.
- Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat, cover with a lid and simmer for 30 – 35 minutes, stirring occasionally until the rice is cooked and the milk has reduced to a creamy consistency.
- Mix with fruit or a topping of your choice such as strawberry jam or fruit puree.