Family Cottage Pie
Pass the serving spoon! It’s time to tuck into this luxurious layered cottage pie with lots of veggies & a hint of Worcestershire sauce.
- 250 g swede, peeled & chopped
- 200 g carrots, peeled & chopped
- a generous knob of butter
- 2 1/2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 450 g minced beef
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 100 g leek, finely chopped
- 100 g red pepper, finely chopped
- 150 g button mushrooms, diced
- 4 medium tomatoes, skinned, de-seeded & chopped
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 tsp dried mixed herbs
- 1 beef stock cube dissolved in 350ml boiling water
- 675 g potatoes, peeled & cut into chunks
- 50 g unsalted butter
- 6 tbsp milk
- salt & a little white pepper
- 225 g frozen peas, cooked
- 1 beaten egg
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- Cook the carrots and swede in boiling lightly salted water for 20 minutes or until tender and then mash with the knob of butter until smooth.
- Heat half a tablespoon of the oil in a large non-stick frying pan and sauté the minced beef for 7 or 8 minutes or until the liquid has been evaporated. Remove the beef from the pan and set aside.
- Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil in a fairly large casserole and sauté the onion and leek for 3 minutes.
- Add the red pepper and sauté for 2 minutes, then add the mushrooms and garlic and sauté for 4 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and sauté for 3 minutes. Return the cooked mince to the pan together with tomato puree, Worcestershire sauce, herbs, bay leaf and beef stock and simmer for about 30 minutes. Season to taste.
- Meanwhile, boil the potatoes for 15 to 20 minutes, then drain. Return the cooked potatoes to the empty saucepan and mash together with butter, milk salt and pepper until smooth.
- Place the mashed carrots and swede in the base of a glass ovenproof dish (approximately 18cm diameter / 7.5 cm deep) or use mini dishes to make individual portions. Arrange the meat on top, then cover with a layer of cooked peas and top with a layer of potato.
- Brush the potato with the beaten egg and cook under a preheated grill for 6 to 7 minutes or until the top is browned.