Make mum’s day this Mother’s Day.
- 2 large eggs
- 125g caster sugar
- 125g soft margarine
- 125g self-raising flour
- zest of one small lemon
- 250g softened butter
- 500g icing sugar
- 2-3 tbsp milk
- Pink food colouring gel
- Violet food colouring gel
- Snowflake piping nozzle
- Small star shaped nozzle
- Tissue paper
- Empty kitchen paper towel roll
- Paper plate
- Heat the oven to 180C / 350F / 160C Fan
- Put all the ingredients into a bowl and beat them together until the mixture is light and fluffy.
- Line a bun tin with 12 paper cases and divide the mixture between them.
- Bake for 20 minutes. You can tell when they are done as they will have risen up, are golden in colour and spring back when pressed.
- To make the buttercream, beat the butter and gradually beat in the icing sugar and milk until the mixture reaches a good consistency for piping. Split the icing into three parts and colour one pink and one lilac.
- To make the two colour flowers, put two heaped tablespoons of the pink icing into a piping bag fitted with a Snowflake piping nozzle. Flatten the bag and squash it all around to spread the pink icing and then carefully open up the bag and spoon the white icing into the centre. When you pipe this, it will give you a two colour effect on the petals. Pipe the icing from the middle of the cupcake in a circular motion until the cupcake is covered. Pipe some of the cupcakes with the pink icing using the Snowflake nozzle and pipe some of the cupcakes with the pink icing using a small star shaped nozzle and decorate with mini yellow candies. Pipe the remaining cupcakes with the violet icing using a small star shaped nozzle.
- To construct the bouquet. Place the empty kitchen roll holder in a vase. Sellotape a paper plate on top. Arrange the cupcakes on the plate. Wrap with the tissue paper and insert some leaves between the cupcakes.