A popular family dish, this Chicken Parmigiana is guaranteed to hit the spot with everyone as it’s rich, satisfying & oozes with flavour.
For the Dish:
- 1 aubergine, diced
- 1 red pepper, deseeded & diced
- 2 courgettes, halved & diced
- 1 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 75 g mozzarella
- 30 g Parmesan cheese
- 3 chicken breasts
For the Sauce:
- 1 red onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 300 ml passata
- 75 ml chicken stock
- a small handful of fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 tbsp ketchup
- 1 tsp sundried tomato paste
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- Pre heat the oven to 200 C (180 C Fan)/400 F/Gas Mark 6
- Put the vegetables into a roasting tin. Add the oil and season. Roast for 30 to 35 minutes until just brown and soft. Spoon into an ovenproof dish.
- To make the sauce: Heat 2 tbsp of oil in a saucepan. Add the onion and garlic and fry for 5 to 6 minutes. Add the passata, stock, basil, oregano, ketchup and sundried tomato paste. Bring up to the boil. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes and then whiz until smooth using a hand blender.
- Slice each chicken breast in half horizontally through the middle, then sliced each half into two pieces so you have 12 pieces of chicken. Arrange these on top of the roasted vegetables and season.
- Pour over the sauce and spread out. Scatter over the mozzarella and parmesan. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes until the chicken is cooked and the topping is golden.