Chicken provides lots of B vitamins & iron as well being an excellent source of lean protein. Cooking on the griddle is a popular method as it requires very little fat to cook.
- 4 chicken breasts
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp runny honey
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- a little vegetable oil
- Cover the chicken breasts with cling film or greaseproof paper and flatten slightly with a mallet or a rolling pin until about one and a half cm (1/2 inch) thick.
- In a bowl mix together all the ingredients for the marinade, add the chicken and marinate for at least one hour.
- Remove the chicken and reserve the marinade.
- Heat the griddle until really hot (or you could use a frying pan), brush with a little oil and cook the chicken for 4 to 5 minutes on each side or until cooked through.
- Strain the marinade, pour it into a small saucepan, bring to the boil and then simmer for one minute (add a little water if necessary).
- Serve the chicken with the sauce.
- If liked, serve with a selection of griddled vegetables, such as courgettes, mange tout, sweetcorn and tomatoes.