Chicken & Butternut Squash Mummy
Spook out your guests with this devilishly good pie full of chicken, butternut squash & leeks. It’s guaranteed to warm-up tums before the trick or treating begins.
Please log in to view this recipe
Don't have an account?
Join for these great benefits
- Exclusive Recipes and Content
- Insider News
- Vouchers and Offers
- 1 butternut squash
- 50 g butter
- 2 leeks, sliced
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 50 g plain flour
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp thyme, chopped
- 3 chicken breasts, chopped into 3cm pieces
- 500 g packet of puff pastry
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 black olive
- Cut the top off of the squash. Peel, then slice 2 x 2cm circles from the squash using a 5½ cm round cutter.
- Chop the remaining pieces into 1½ cm cubes to make 250g.
- Put the circles into boiling water for 4 minutes, then add the diced squashed and boil for a further 4 minutes. Drain.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan. Add the leeks and garlic and fry until soft. Sprinkle in the flour, then blend in the milk. Stir until thickened. Season and add the cheese, thyme and lemon juice.
- Fry the chicken in a hot frying pan until seared and browned. Add to the sauce.
- Scatter half of the diced squash in the base of a 10 inch round pie dish. Spoon the filling on top then scatter over the remaining squash. Chill until cold.
- Roll out the pastry on a floured work surface. Cut into long strips about 2cm wide.
- Put strips around the pie edge sticking it down with water. Put the 2 circles of squash on top of the filling to make the eyes. Slice the olive in half and put on top.
- Using the remaining strips of pastry arrange on top to make a mummy’s face. Glaze with egg wash.
- Bake for 30 minutes at 200 Fan until golden on top and bubbling.