One of the best ways to introduce red meat to your baby is to cook it in a casserole, together with lots of root vegetables so that it’s flavoursome & tender.
- 1/2 tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 onion, peeled & finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, peeled & crushed
- 1/2 tbsp flour
- 1 tsp paprika
- 300 g lean stewing steak
- 400 ml chicken stock or water
- 200 g carrots, peeled & chopped
- 300 g potatoes, peeled & chopped
- 1/2 stick of celery, trimmed & chopped
- sprig of parsley
- sprig of thyme (optional)
- 110 g button mushrooms, wiped & sliced
- Pre-heat the oven to 150°C/ 300°F.
- Heat the oil in a casserole dish and sauté the onion and the garlic for 3 minutes.
- Mix the flour and paprika together in a small bowl and toss the meat in this to coat it.
- Add the floured meat to the pan and sauté until browned all over.
- Pour in the stock or water and stir for 1 minute.
- Add the vegetables and herbs, then cover and cook in the pre-heated oven for 2 hours.
- Add the mushrooms and continue to cook for 30 minutes.
- Purée in a blender.