Sweet Potato puree is an excellent first food for babies as it’s sweet, soft when cooked, and is packed with vitamin A.
- 2 medium sweet potatoes
- Preheat the oven to 400 F / 200 C / 180 C Fan. Scrub the potatoes and prick with a metal skewer or fork.
- Place on a baking tray and roast for about 45 minutes or until wrinkled and tender.
- Remove from the oven, cut the potatoes in half, scoop out the flesh and puree in a food processor until smooth. You can add a little of your baby’s usual milk to thin out the consistency if you wish .
- You can also use this method to bake potatoes – potatoes tend to take longer to cook than sweet potatoes so between 45 minutes and 1 hour. Do not puree ordinary potato flesh in a blender as it will break down the natural starches and produce a stick texture. Its best to puree potato in a baby food grinder or mouli or for slightly older babies simply mash with a fork.
- For a quick method you can microwave the Sweet Potato – Scrub the sweet potato and prick with a fork. Cook in microwave on high for 8 to 10 minutes until soft. Cut the sweet potato in half and scoop out the flesh, mix with a little breast of formula milk or cooled boiled water to make a smooth consistency.