Baby’s First Bolognese Sauce
Babies need iron from 6 months so recipes with red meat are great options.
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 50g finely chopped onion
- 20g chopped celery
- 1 small clove garlic, crushed
- 1 medium carrot (approx 85g), peeled and grated
- 100 g lean minced beef
- 150 ml Passata
- 100 ml unsalted stock or boiling water
- ¼ tsp fresh thyme leaves or a pinch of dried thyme
- 3 tbsp Annabel Karmel’s Mini Pasta Shells
- Heat the oil in a saucepan and sauté the onion and celery over a low heat for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally until softened.
- Add the garlic and cook for one minute. Add the grated carrot and sauté for 4 minutes.
- In a separate pan, dry fry the minced beef until browned, stirring occasionally.
- Add to the onion and carrot. Pour over the tomato sauce, boiling water or stock and add the thyme and pinch of sugar.
- Cover and cook over a low heat for about 12 minutes.
- Remove from the pan and pulse for a second or two in a blender to make a smoother texture.
- Meanwhile, cook the shell pasta according to the packet instructions.
- Drain and mix with the Bolognese sauce.