Turkey Meatballs & Spaghetti
Please log in to view this recipe
- Free e-recipe book on sign up
- Access to exclusive recipes & content
- Exclusive offers on AK products
- Great competitions and prizes
- Never miss a thing with our newsletter
For the Dish:
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped (approx 200g unpeeled weight )
- 40 g white breadcrumbs (approx 2 slices)
- 50 ml milk
- 250 g turkey mince
- 1 small apple, peeled & grated
- 1 tsp fresh thyme leaves
- 1/2 tsp salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp flour to dust hands
- 3 tbsp sunflower oil for frying
For the Tomato Sauce:
- Use half the onion from above
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 x 400 g tin & 1 x 200g tin chopped tomatoes or 1 ½ tins chopped tomatoes
- 100 ml water / chicken stock
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp oregano
- pinch dried chilli flakes
- salt & pepper
- 200 g spaghetti
- a little chopped parsley or basil
- Heat the oil in a pan and fry the onions gently for about 10 minutes until softened. Use half the onions for the meatballs and half for the tomato sauce.
- Meanwhile soak the breadcrumbs in the milk for 10 minutes in a large bowl.
- To make the sauce, transfer half the sautéed onion to a pan. Add the crushed garlic and sauté for one minute add all the remaining ingredients and simmer covered for 7 minutes.
- To make the meatballs, add the turkey mince, grated apple, thyme, sautéed onion, salt and black pepper to the soaked breadcrumbs and mix together.
- Using floured hands, form teaspoons of the mixture into small balls. Heat the sunflower oil in a frying pan and brown the meatballs. Transfer the meatballs to the pan of tomato sauce and simmer for 8 to 10 minutes uncovered.
- Cook the spaghetti according to the instructions on the packet. Drain and toss with the sauce and meatballs. Sprinkle with a little chopped parsley or basil.