The Very Hungry Caterpillar
Up the fun at lunchtime with this hungry caterpillar! Here comes the hungry caterpillar! This sandwich train is a show-stopping centerpiece for any lunch table. It’s also ideal for sharing.
Please log in to view this recipe
- Free e-recipe book on sign up
- Access to exclusive recipes & content
- Exclusive offers on AK products
- Great competitions and prizes
- Never miss a thing with our newsletter
For the Sandwiches:
- 6 slices medium sliced brown bread
- 6 slices medium sliced white bread
- 3 tablespoons cream cheese
- 3 tablespoons mango chutney
- 1/4 cucumber, thinly sliced
- a little softened butter
- 3 large slices edam or Swiss cheese
- 1 large tomato, thinly sliced
- 1 medium tomato
- 1 cooked pea
- edam or Swiss cheese
- Make the brown sandwiches. Spread one side of the bread with a little butter, top with edam and sliced tomato. Sandwich together.
- Make the white sandwiches. Spread one side with 1 tablespoon of cream cheese. Spread the other with mango chutney. Top with cucumber then sandwich together.
- Cut out three rounds from each sandwich using a 3cm round cutter.
- Arrange the sandwiches in a “s” shape to make the body of the caterpillar and arrange on a board. Make the face of the caterpillar by making eyes from slicing the pea in half and sticking onto the tomato with cream cheese to make the eyes. Make a mouth out of cheese and stick to the tomato.
- Make ears out of thin strips of cucumber and push into the top of the tomato. Slice chunks of cucumber and use to make the feet.