With a deep red sponge & a velvety cream, these cupcakes are perfect to indulge in at elevenses.
- 60 g unsalted butter at room temperature
- 150 g caster sugar
- 1 egg
- 25 g cocoa powder
- 3 tvsp red food colouring
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 120 ml sour cream or buttermilk
- 150 g self raising flour
- ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 200 g icing sugar, sifted
- 80 g unsalted butter at room temperature
- ¼ tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp cream cheese
- Preheat the oven to 180C / 160 Fan / 350 F. Line a muffin tray with 12 paper cases
- Measure all of the cake ingredients into a bowl and whisk together until smooth.
- Spoon the mixture into the paper cases until about two thirds full. Bake in the preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes until risen and springy to the tough. To check they are cooked you can insert a skewer or toothpick into the centre of one of the cakes and it should come out clean. Transfer cupcakes to a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make the frosting, beat the icing sugar into the butter a little at a time until smooth. Add the vanilla extract and cream cheese at the end. Chill until needed. When the cakes are cold swirl some of the cream cheese frosting on top of each cake using a spatula or pipe the icing on top of the cakes.