Plum and Almond Cake
In need of an afternoon pick-me-up? This juicy & light cake tastes divine on its own or with a dash of cream.
- 4 large ripe plums, stoned and thinly sliced
- 175 g butter, softened
- 175 g caster sugar
- 3 large eggs, seperated
- 125 g ground almonds
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 50 g self-raising flour
- 3 tbsp demerara sugar
- Pre-heat the oven to 160C Fan. Grease and base line an 8” round spring form tin.
- Measure the butter and sugar into a mixing bowl. Whisk until light and fluffy.
- Add the yolks, then fold in the ground almonds, almond extract and flour.
- Whisk the eggs whites until stiff, then fold into the mixture.
- Fold in half of the plums and spoon into the tin. Level the top.
- Arrange the remaining plums on the top and sprinkle with the Demerara sugar.
- Bake for 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hours until lightly golden and shrinking away from the sides of the tin.