My First Cottage Pie
A classic Cottage Pie, sure to be a winner. For babies, chop the meat in a food processor to make it softer & for kids over 1 year, you can season with a little salt & pepper.
- 2 carrot, peeled & chopped
- 3 potatoes, peeled & chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, peeled & chopped
- 1 garlic clove, peeled & crushed
- 1 red pepper, cored, de-seeded & diced
- 350 g minced beef
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- 4 tsps tomato purée
- 200 ml chicken stock
- 20 g butter
- 2 tbsp milk
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 C / 350 F / Gas Mark 4.
- Boil the carrots & potatoes for 15 minutes or until soft.
- Meanwhile heat the oil in a pan & sauté the onion, garlic & red pepper for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the minced beef, sauté until browned. Add the parsley, tomato purée & chicken stock, bring to the boil, cover & simmer for 15 minutes.
- Drain then mash cooked potatoes & carrots with the milk & 20g butter until smooth.
- Spoon the meat into the base of four small ramekins. Top with the mashed potato & carrot.
- Place in the preheated oven for 10-15 minutes to heat through.
- Dot with remaining butter & place under a pre-heated grill until lightly golden.