Plaice is one of the best fishes for baby recipes as its purees to a smooth consistency. Mix it with a tasty cheese & tomato sauce with carrots for a good dose of protein, calcium & vitamins.
- 250 g carrots, peeled & sliced
- 225 g plaice fillets, skinned
- 2 tbsp milk
- 40 g unsalted butter
- 2 medium ripe tomatoes, skinned, de-seeded & chopped
- 40 g grated Cheddar cheese
- Put the carrots in a steamer and cook for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile. place the fish in a microwave dish, add the milk, dot with about 15g butter and cover leaving an air vent.
- Microwave on high for 2 to 3 minutes. Alternatively, put the fish in a pan, cover with a little milk and simmer for about 5 minutes or until cooked.
- Melt the remaining butter in a saucepan, add the tomatoes and sauté until mushy.
- Stir in the grated cheese until melted.
- Blend or mash the cooked carrots together with the tomato mixture.
- Remove the fish from the cooking liquor and flake, checking to make sure there are no bones.
- Mix the fish together with the carrots and tomatoes.
- For younger babies you can blend the fish together with the carrots and tomato for a smoother texture.