Gooey, rich & chocolatey, is what this recipe is all about. Serve with vanilla ice cream for pudding heaven.
For the Chocolate Sponge
- 50 g soft butter plus extra for greasing
- 50 g soft light brown sugar
- 100 g self-raising flour
- 30 g cocoa powder
- 90 ml milk
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- 30 g chocolate chips
For the Chocolate Sauce
- 100 g soft light brown sugar
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 tsp instant coffee granules
- 200 ml boiling water
- Preheat the oven to 170 °C / Gas Mark 3. Grease a 1.5 litre baking dish.
- Put all the sponge ingredients, except the chocolate chips in a food processor & mix for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the chocolate chips & pulse 4-5 times to distribute. Pour the batter into the prepared dish.
- Whisk the sauce ingredients together in a heatproof bowl or jug & pour over the sponge batter.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes until the sponge has risen. The sauce will also be bubbling up the sides of the sponge.
- Serve with vanilla ice cream.