Chicken Salad with French Beans and Cherry Tomatoes
Off on a picnic? Be sure to pack this salad with chicken, crunchy green beans & cherry tomatoes. The caramelised red onion & balsamic vinegar dressing is utterly delicious.
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large red onion, sliced
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp caster sugar
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 2 cooked chicken breasts, sliced
- 2 tbsp fresh basil, chopped
- 3 tbsp sweet balsamic vinegar
- 250 g fine green beans
- 300 g cherry tomatoes, halved or quartered if large
- 50 g mixed salad leaves
- Heat 2 tbsp of oil in a frying pan. Add the onion and garlic and fry until soft. Add the sugar and stir until lightly browned. Spoon into a bowl.
- Add the shallot, chicken, basil and balsamic vinegar. Season and mix together and then add the remaining oil.
- Steam the beans or cool in boiling salted water for 4 minutes until just cooked. Drain and refresh in cold water and slice in half.
- Add the beans and tomatoes to the cooked onions and chicken. Lightly toss together and season.
- Arrange the salad leaves on a plate. Spoon the chicken salad over and gently mix together.