Beefy Sausage Rolls
Sausage rolls make great picnic & party finger foods. For an added twist, use minced pork instead of beef.
Please log in to view this recipe
- Free e-recipe book on sign up
- Access to exclusive recipes & content
- Exclusive offers on AK products
- Great competitions and prizes
- Never miss a thing with our newsletter
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 small red onion, chopped
- 1/4 tsp fresh thyme leaves
- 1 slice bread, crusts removed
- 110 g minced beef
- 1 1/2 tbsp tomato chutney
- 2 tbsp grated Parmesan
- 225 g shortcrust pastry
- 1 egg, beaten with a pinch of salt
- Pre-heat the oven to 200ºC/ 400ºF/Gas 6/Fan 180ºC.
- Put the oil in a small frying pan, add the onion and sauté for 5 minutes, until soft. Stir in the thyme and set aside.
- Put the bread in a food processor and whiz to crumbs. Add the onion, beef, chutney and Parmesan, plus salt and pepper, and whiz again to combine.
- Roll out the pastry into two rectangles 12 cm x 18 cm and about 2 mm (1/16 in) thick. You can collect the trimmings and use them to decorate the outside, we used mini star cutters for ours.
- Halve the meat mixture and roll into two sausages each 18 cm long.
- Put one in the centre of each piece of pastry and brush the edges of the pastry with egg. Fold the edges over to enclose the meat.
- Cut each roll into four with a sharp knife (wipe knife between each cut) and put the rolls on to a baking sheet, seam side down.
- Brush the rolls with egg and cut two small slits in the top of each roll.
- Bake the rolls for 16–18 minutes, until the pastry is golden brown. Check if the meat is cooked with a sharp knife. If not, return to the oven.
- Use a fish slice or palette knife to transfer the rolls to a cooling rack.