Welsh ‘Rabbit’ Rarebit
Welsh rarebit is a slightly enriched version of cheese on toast - children will enjoy these rabbit versions!
- 1 English muffin, split and toasted
- 45g Cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tsp cream or milk
- 2-3 drops Worcestershire sauce (or to taste)
- Pepper, to season
- Thin slices of carrot or 2 baby carrots
- 1 black olive, stoned and halved
- 4 peas
- 4 mangetout
- Small amount of spring onion, chopped
- Few fresh chives
- Preheat the grill on high.
- Put the cheese, egg yolk, milk/cream, and Worcestershire sauce into a bowl and mash together. Season with pepper, to taste.
- Spread the cheese mixture over the cut sides of the toasted muffin, spreading to the edges.
- Grill the muffin 7 to 8 centimeters from the heat source for 3 to 4 minutes, until the cheese is golden and bubbling. Don't let the muffin halves get too close to the heat or they may brown too quickly.
- Decorate the muffin with peas for eyes, mangetout for ears, half an olive for a nose, chives for whiskers, chopped spring onion for teeth, and a carrot for fun.
- Serve immediatley.