Hidden Vegetable Sauce
Shh … Don’t tell anyone! There are five vegetables hiding inside this super tasty tomato vegetable sauce. A great way to get children to eat vegetables...what they can’t see, they can’t pick out! This also works well as a topping for pizza, as a pasta sauce or even as a sauce for accompayning different meats and vegetables.
- 2 tbsp light olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 medium onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 100g carrots, peeled and grated
- 50g courgette, grated
- 50g button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 400g passata (ready-sieved tomatoes)
- 1 tsp soft brown sugar
- 1 vegetable stock cube dissolved in 400ml boiling water
- A handful of fresh basil leaves, torn
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Heat the oil in a pan, add the crushed garlic and sauté for a few seconds, then add the onion and sauté for a further 2 minutes.
- Add the carrots, courgette and mushrooms and sauté for 4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the balsamic vinegar and cook for 1 miinute.
- Stir in the passata and sugar, cover and simmer for 8 minutes.
- Add the vegetable stock and cook for 2 minutes, stirring continuously.
- Add the basil and season to taste.
- Transfer to a blender and blitz until smooth.