Turkey Meatballs & Spaghetti
A delicious main course for the whole family. This recipe for Meatballs and Spaghetti is very versatile, perfect for Christmas or any time of the year.
- 20 minutes
- 27 minutes plus pasta cooking time
- Best for
Suitable for freezing
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 medium onions finely chopped (approx 200g unpeeled weight )
- 40g white breadcrumbs (approx 2 slices)
- 50 ml milk
- 250g turkey mince
- 1 small apple, peeled and grated
- 1 tsp fresh thyme leaves
- ½ tsp salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp flour to dust hands
- 3 tbsp sunflower oil for frying
- Use half the onion from above
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1x 400g tin and 1 x 200g tin chopped tomatoes or 1 ½ tins chopped tomatoes
- 100 ml water / chicken stock
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 2 tsp sugar
- ¼ tsp oregano
- Pinch dried chilli flakes
- Salt and pepper
- 200g spaghetti
A little chopped parsley or basil
- Heat the oil in a pan and fry the onions gently for about 10 minutes until softened. Use half the onions for the meatballs and half for the tomato sauce.
- Meanwhile soak the breadcrumbs in the milk for 10 minutes in a large bowl.
- To make the sauce, transfer half the sautéed onion to a pan. Add the crushed garlic and sauté for one minute add all the remaining ingredients and simmer covered for 7 minutes.
- To make the meatballs, add the turkey mince, grated apple, thyme, sautéed onion, salt and black pepper to the soaked breadcrumbs and mix together.
- Using floured hands, form teaspoons of the mixture into small balls. Heat the sunflower oil in a frying pan and brown the meatballs. Transfer the meatballs to the pan of tomato sauce and simmer for 8 to 10 minutes uncovered.
- Cook the spaghetti according to the instructions on the packet. Drain and toss with the sauce and meatballs. Sprinkle with a little chopped parsley or basil.