Unlike fresh tuna, tinned tuna does not contain omega-3 fatty acids, however, it is rich in protein, vitamin D and vitamin B12. This is a very tasty pasta dish which uses a tin of tomato soup as my secret ingredient. You could make these in ramekin dishes so that you have individual portions in your freezer - a perfect new mum recipe.
- Best for
- ½ onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 25g butter
- 1 tbsp cornflour
- 400g tin of tomato soup
- A pinch of mixed herbs
- 200g canned tuna, drained and flaked
- A little freshly ground black pepper
- 175g green and white tagliatelle
- 1 tbsp grated parmesan cheese
For Mushroom Cheese Sauce
- 1/2 onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 40g butter
- 100g mushrooms, washed and sliced
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 300ml milk
- 100g Cheddar cheese
- For the sauce, fry the onion in the butter until transparent, then add the sliced mushrooms and sauté for about 3 minutes.
- Add the flour and continue stirring the mixture all the time. When it is well mixed, add the milk gradually, and cook, stirring, until thickened and smooth.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the grated cheese.
- Fry the onion in butter until soft.
- Stir the cornflour into 120ml/4 fl oz water until dissolved, and mix with the tomato soup.
- Add the mixed herbs and chopped parsley and cook, stirring over a gentle heat for 5 minutes.
- Mix in the flaked tuna and heat through. Season with a little black pepper.
- Boil the tagliatelle in water until al dente and then drain (do not overcook as it will be cooked again in the oven).
- Grease a serving dish and add the tuna and tomato mixed with the pasta and then the mushrooms cheese sauce.
- Top with grated parmesan. Bake in an oven pre-heated to 180°C/350°F for 20 minutes.
- Brown under a hot grill before serving.