Risotto is so easily adaptable, that you can change the flavours according to the season.
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 small leek, finely sliced & thoroughly washed
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 225 g risotto rice, such as Arborio
- 1.5 l hot vegetable or chicken stock
- 15 g butter
- 1 medium courgette, halved lengthways & thinly sliced
- 55 g grated Parmesan, plus extra to serve
- 55 g frozen peas
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- Sauté the onion and leek in the oil for 5-6 minutes, until soft.
- Add the garlic and rice and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes, until the rice turns translucent around the edges.
- Add a ladleful of the hot stock and cook gently, stirring frequently, until the stock has been absorbed then add another ladleful and cook, stirring frequently until the stock has been absorbed.
- Continue to add stock and stir in this way for 20-25 minutes, until the rice is tender and not chalky in the centre if you bite into a grain.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter in a large frying pan and sauté the courgettes until softened and slightly golden at the edges.
- When the rice is just cooked, add the Parmesan and peas and leave to stand, covered