This is one of my favourite crumbles. It is a delicious combination of flavours and the pink colour of the rhubarb looks so attractive. It is also very quick and easy to prepare. Serve with custard or ice cream.
- 15 minutes
- 30 minutes
- Best for
- 400g rhubarb
- 100g strawberries
- 4 tbsp caster sugar
- 3 tbsp ground almonds
- 150g plain flour
- 75g demerara sugar
- A generous pinch of salt
- 100g cold butter, cut into pieces
- 50g ground almonds
- Pre-heat the oven to 200°C / 400°F.
- To make the topping, mix the flour together with the salt in a bowl and rub in the butter using your fingertips until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Mix in the ground almonds and sugar.
- Cut the rhubarb into small pieces not larger than half an inch and halve the strawberries.
- Sprinkle the ground almonds over the base of a suitable ovenproof dish (a round pyrex dish with a 17cm diameter is good).
- Mix the rhubarb and strawberries together with the sugar and spoon into the dish.
- Cover the fruit with the crumble topping and bake in the oven for about 30 minutes until the topping is golden brown.