Spaghetti with pesto
Nothing tastes as good as home made pesto and it only takes minutes to prepare. Simply put everything in a food processor and whiz together.
- 8 minutes
- 8 minutes
- Best for
Suitable for freezing
- 225 g (8 oz) spaghetti
- 50 g (2 oz) pine nuts
- 50 g (2 oz) Parmesan cheese, grated plus extra for serving
- 1–2 garlic cloves
- small bunch of parsley leaves
- small bunch of basil leaves and stalks
- a pinch of sugar
- 100 ml (3½ fl oz) olive oil
- 1 tbsp water
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- First toast the pine nuts in a dry frying pan until lightly golden. Stir them so that they don't burn. Remove from the pan and leave to cool.
- Cook the spaghetti in a large pan of lightly salted boiling water according to the packet instructions.
- Meanwhile, tip the Parmesan, garlic, parsley, basil, sugar and cooled pine nuts into a food processor and whiz until finely chopped. Slowly add the olive oil while the motor is whizzing. Add the water and season. Spoon into a small bowl.
Drain the cooked pasta and put it back into the saucepan. Add 4–5 tablespoons of pesto and toss together. Sprinkle with extra Parmesan before serving.
(You can freeze any leftover pesto sauce for up to 2 months )