Pasta provides a good source of complex carbohydrates, so macaroni cheese is a great option to boost your child’s energy levels & calcium intake.
Please log in to view this recipe
Don't have an account?
Join for these great benefits
- Exclusive Recipes and Content
- Insider News
- Vouchers and Offers
350 g macaroni 4 medium tomatoes, skinned, seeded and chopped 75g sliced ham, shredded (optional)
- 350 g macaroni
- 4 medium tomatoes
- 45 g butter
- 45 g flour
- 450 ml milk
- 85 g Gruyère, grated
- 60 g Italian hard style cheese, grate
- 150 g mascarpone
- 40 g breadcrumbs (2 medium slices bread, white or wholemeal, crusts removed)
- 20 g Italian hard style cheese, grated
- Cook the pasta according the packet instructions in plenty of salted boiling water.
- Melt the butter, stir in the flour and cook for 1 minute. Gradually add the milk, stirring over a low heat for 5–6 minutes.
- Take off the heat, stir in the Gruyère and the Italian hard style cheese until melted, then the mascarpone.
- Drain the pasta, return to the pan, pour over the cheese sauce and heat through gently. Stir in the chopped tomatoes and shredded ham.
- Transfer to a greased ovenproof dish (approximately 26 cm x 17 cm x 5 cm (9 in x 6 in x 2 in). Mix together the breadcrumbs and the Italian hard style cheese and sprinkle on top.
- Place under a preheated grill until golden and bubbling.