Flower Pot Cakes
These flower pot cakes might be fun for Mother's Day.
- 40 minutes
- 17 minutes
- Best for
Suitable for freezing
- 110g butter, at room temperature, plus extra for greasing
- 110g caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 85g self-raising flour
- 4 tbsp cocoa powder
- A pinch of salt
- 280g ready-made light brown regal icing or 280g ready-made white royal icing coloured brown by mixing together yellow, red and black food colouring
- 3 tbsp apricot jam
- 100g white chocolate
- 20g desiccated coconut
- Yellow and orange M&Ms
- Some drops of green food colouring or ½ tsp Japanese green tea powder
- 8 wooden skewers
- Icing sugar, for dusting.
- Flower candles- visit Squires Kitchen website
You will also need:
- 4 dariole moulds
- A 900g loaf tin
- star-or flower – shaped cookie cutter (about 4cm/2in)
- a tear-shaped cookie cutter and some baking parchment
- Pre-heat the oven to 180˚C/350˚F/Gas4. Grease the dariole moulds and line the bases with circles of baking parchment. Grease the loaf tin and line with baking parchment.
- Cream together the butter and sugar until pale and fluffy. In a separate bowl, beat together the eggs and vanilla then beat into the butter mixture a little at a time. Sift the flour, cocoa and salt and fold in well. Divide the mixture between the prepared moulds to half-full. The remaining mixture goes into the loaf tin; spread it evenly, about 1cm (1.2 in) thick.
- Place the dariole moulds and the loaf tin in the oven and bake for 15-17 minutes until risen and firm. Allow to cool, and then remove from the dariole moulds and the loaf tin to a wire rack until completely cold.
- Using a rolling pin, roll out the light brown royal icing to make 20 x 30cm (8x 12in) rectangle. Using a sharp knife and a ruler, cut the icing to fit around the sides of the dariole cakes, so they look like little pots – about 5-6 am (2- 2 ½ in), depending on how high the cakes are – then make four thin strips, about 1.5cm (1in) for the pot rims. Re-roll trimmings to make the strips, if necessary.
- Using cookie cutter, cut out four flower shapes and leaves from the loaf-tin cake. Break the white chocolate into small pieces and melt over a bowl of simmering water. Dip one side of the flower cakes into the chocolate and cool on a wire rack. Sprinkle the coconut (or grated white chocolate) on top and pale M&M in the centre.
- Add some drops of green food colouring or the green tea powder to the rest of the melted white chocolate. Dip the leaves into the green chocolate and set aside to harden. To serve, attach the flower and the leaves to the pot using wooden skewers (remove skewers before eating).