Tasty Fish & Sweet Potato Purée
This is a tasty recipe for introducing your baby to fish, Plaice is one of the best types of fish to start with as it has a lovely soft texture. If fish is overcooked it becomes dry and tasteless – one of the best ways of cooking fish is in the microwave and in this recipe it takes just one and a half minutes to cook it to perfection. Many babies don’t get to eat much fish as it’s hard to find jars of baby food with fish and many fish recipes are bland and boring so children tend to grow up disliking fish.
- 10 minutes
- 12 minutes
- Best for
- 3 portions
- 275 g sweet potato, peeled and chopped
- 150g plaice fillets, skinned
- 2 tbsp milk
- Generous knob of butter
- 2 ripe tomatoes, skinned, deseeded and chopped
- 40g Cheddar cheese, grated
- Steam the sweet potato for about 10 minutes or until tender. Meanwhile score a cross in the base of the tomatoes and plunge into boiling water for about 30 seconds. Transfer to ice cold water and the skins should peel off easily with your fingers or a sharp knife.
- De-seed and roughly chop the tomatoes. Melt the knob of butter in a saucepan and sauté the tomatoes for about 2 minutes until mushy. Remove from the heat and stir in the grated cheese until melted.
- Put the plaice fillets into a microwave dish, add the milk and dot with butter. Cover leaving the vent open and cook for one and a half minutes on full power.
- Drain the cooked fish and flake carefully to see there are no bones and add to the tomato and cheese sauce together with the cooking liquid from the fish. Add the cooked sweet potato and mash together.
- For very young babies you can purée this in a blender.