Fish is good for the brain so serve up a helping of fish pie at dinner. This recipe is creamy, tasty & looks good in mini ramekins.
Please log in to view this recipe
Don't have an account?
Join for these great benefits
- Exclusive Recipes and Content
- Insider News
- Vouchers and Offers
For the Potato Topping:
- 800 g potatoes
- 30 g butter
- 7 tbsp milk
- 4 tbsp freshly grated Parmesan
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
For the Sauce
- 45 g butter
- 1 large shallot, diced
- 2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 45 g flour
- 450 ml fish stock
- 6 tbsp double cream
- 1 1/2 tsp chopped fresh dill or chives, chopped
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to season
For the Salmon & Cod Filling
- 250 g salmon, skin removed & cut into 2 cm chunks
- 250 g cod, skin removed & cut into 2 cm chunks
- 150 g small cooked prawns
- 70 g frozen peas
- Pre-heat the oven to 200ºC/400ºF/Gas 6.
- Boil the potatoes in salted water.
- Drain and mash with the butter, milk and Parmesan and season to taste.
- To make the sauce, melt the butter and sauté the shallot for 5–6 minutes until soft.
- Add the white wine vinegar and boil for 2–3 minutes until the liquid has evaporated.
- Stir in the flour to make a roux.
- Gradually, stir in the fish stock and then cook over a medium heat, stirring continuously.
- Bring to the boil then cook stirring until thickened.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the cream and the chopped dill or chives. Season well as the fish is unseasoned.
- Divide all the fish and peas among four or six mini ramekins (depending on the size) and pour over the sauce.
- Brush the potato topping with a little beaten egg. Bake for 25 minutes.
- Freeze, assembled but uncooked.