Fillets of Plaice Purée
Fish is an excellent low fat source of protein and it is important to encourage a liking for fish early on. I find that one of the best fish for baby food recipes is plaice as it purées to a smooth consistency.
Here I have mixed it with a tasty cheese and tomato sauce and carrots, so this recipe provides a good source of protein, calcium and vitamins. Be aware that a small proportion of babies are allergic to fish so watch carefully for any reaction.
- 5 minutes
- 20 minutes
- Best for
- 4 portions
- 250g carrots, peeled and sliced
- 225g plaice fillets, skinned
- 2 tbsp milk
- 40g unsalted butter
- 2 medium ripe tomatoes, skinned, de-seeded and chopped
- 40g grated Cheddar cheese
- Put the carrots in a steamer and cook for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile. place the fish in a microwave dish, add the milk, dot with about 15g butter and cover leaving an air vent.
- Microwave on high for 2 to 3 minutes. Alternatively, put the fish in a pan, cover with a little milk and simmer for about 5 minutes or until cooked.
- Melt the remaining butter in a saucepan, add the tomatoes and sauté until mushy.
- Stir in the grated cheese until melted.
- Blend or mash the cooked carrots together with the tomato mixture.
- Remove the fish from the cooking liquor and flake, checking to make sure there are no bones.
- Mix the fish together with the carrots and tomatoes.
- For younger babies you can blend the fish together with the carrots and tomato for a smoother texture.