Learn to make tasty quesadillas with tasty vegetables! Pronounced ke-sah-dee-uh, this is a Mexican tortilla dish which involves cooking ingredients, most popularly, vegetables and cheese inside a tortilla wrap. This sweetcorn, red onion and sweet pepper filling with melted cheese is very yummy, and something you can make with your Mum and Dad.
Experts recommend that we should eat 5 daily servings of fruit and vegetables. Three tablespoons of sweetcorn counts as one serving of fruit and vegetables. Include lots of delicious veg and guacamole in your tortilla recipe.
- 5 minutes
- 8 minutes
- Best for
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 1/2 red or orange pepper, deseeded and diced
- 1 x 198g sweetcorn, drained
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp runny honey
- 4 flour tortillas
- 4 heaped tbsp salsa (mild or medium , according to your taste)
- 100g grated Cheddar
- Sour cream or guacamole
- Heat the oil in a large pan or wok and stir fry the onion and pepper for 3 minutes. Add the corn and continue to cook for another 2 minutes, or until the onion and pepper are soft. Add the balsamic vinegar and honey and cook for a further minute, then remove from the heat and season to taste.
- Spread each tortilla with a tablespoon of salsa. Scatter a little cheese over the salsa and divide the corn mixture between the tortillas. Top with two thirds of the remaining cheese, roll up and arrange on a baking sheet. Sprinkle over the remaining cheese. Preheat the grill to high and grill the quesadillas for 1 – 2 minutes until the filling is hot and the cheese has melted.
- Serve with sour cream and guacamole (optional).