Chicken and Corn Tacos
You can either serve this dish in tacos shells, or in a bowl, topped with a little sour cream and grated cheese, and served with tortilla chips. If you want this to be very mild then only add a small amount of chilli, however it’s surprising how many children like their food quite spicy.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion (80g), finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- ¼ green chilli, deseeded and diced
- ¼ tsp ground cumin
- ¼ tsp chilli powder (or to taste)
- 250g minced chicken
- 1 x 400g can chopped tomatoes
- ¼ tsp dried oregano
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 50ml chicken stock
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 x 198g can sweetcorn, drained
- Frilly lettuce
- Tacos shells
- Using non stick frying pan, sauté the onion in the oil for 5 minutes, until soft.
- Add the garlic, chilli, cumin, and chilli powder and cook a further 3-4 minutes, until aromatic.
- Transfer to a medium saucepan.
- Brown the chicken in the frying pan, then add to the onion, along with all the remaining ingredients.
- Simmer for 35-40 minutes, until the sauce thickens. Season to taste.
- Line the tacos shells with frilly lettuce and then spoon in the chicken mixture.
- Alternatively, serve in bowls, topped with sour cream and cheese and with tortilla chips on the side.