In the first few weeks of weaning make sure that the carrots are cooked for quite a long time, so that they are soft enough to puree to a smooth consistency. This method of cooking also works with any of the other root vegetables eg: potatoes, sweet potato and swede. Cooking times will differ depending on which vegetable you choose.
- 5 minutes
- 20 minutes
- Best for
- 8 portions
- 350g carrots, peeled and chopped
- Put the carrots into a steamer set over boiling water and cook for 15 to 20 minutes until tender. Alternatively put the carrots in a saucepan and pour over just enough boiling water to and cover with a lid, simmer for 15 to 20 minutes until soft.
- Drain the carrots and place in a blender, adding some of the water from the bottom of the steamer or some of the cooking liquid, then puree until very smooth.
- The amount of liquid you add really depends on your baby, you may need to add a little more if he finds the puree difficult to swallow.
- Spoon some of the puree into your baby’s bowl and serve lukewarm. You can freeze the remainder in an ice cube tray or small plastic containers.