Braised Beef with Sweet Potato Purée
This braised beef recipe makes a good introduction to red meat.
- 5 minutes
- 1 ½ hours
- Best for
- 6 portions
Suitable for freezing
- 20g butter or margarine
- 1 leek, washed and sliced (approx. 150g)
- 125g braising steak, cut into cubes
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 100g button mushrooms, sliced
- 275g sweet potato, peeled and chopped
- 250 ml chicken stock
- Juice of 1 orange (about 120 ml)
- Melt the butter or margarine in a flameproof casserole dish and sauté the leek for about 4 minutes until softened.
- Roll the meat in the flour; add to the leek and sauté until browned.
- Add the mushrooms and sauté for 1 minute.
- Add the sweet potato, stock and orange juice.
- Bring to the boil and transfer to an oven preheated to 180C/250F/Gas 4 for 1 ½ hours or until the meat is tender.
- Blend to the desired consistency using as much of the cooking liquid as necessary