BLT with Maple Roasted Bacon
In Canada, you can get delicious maple cured bacon; it is so yummy that it inspired me to make this maple roasted bacon. I would suggest that you roast extra bacon when you make this as it keeps in the fridge for 2-3 days and is wonderful crumbled into salads or an omelette. As a variation you could add ½tsp grain mustard to the mayonnaise.
- 5 minutes
- 16 minutes
- Best for
- 4 rashers streaky bacon, rind removed
- ½ tbsp maple syrup
- 2 slices bread, lightly buttered
- 1 tbsp mayonnaise
- 2 leaves little gem lettuce, shredded
- 1 small tomato, sliced
- Preheat the oven to 200°c/400°F/Gas 6/Fan 180°.
- Put a wire cooling rack on a baking sheet and sit the bacon on the rack. Roast for 12-13 minutes, until the bacon is starting to crisp.
- Carefully brush both sides of the bacon rashers with the maple syrup and roast for a further 2 minutes.
- Brush once more and roast for a final 2-3 minutes, watching carefully.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly. If making for a lunchbox, refrigerate the bacon until thoroughly chilled before making the sandwich.
- Spread one of the slices of bread with mayonnaise and scatter over the lettuce. Sit the tomato and bacon on top then sandwich with the second slice of bread.
- Cut in half diagonally and serve, or wrap for the lunchbox.