Blackberry and Apple Crumble
This is a really good blackberry and apple crumble recipe bursting with fruit; comfort food at its very best. If you can’t find fresh blackberries you can use frozen instead. Interestingly frozen fruit and vegetables are often more nutritious in a crumble recipe than fresh, as they are frozen within hours of being picked, thus locking in all the vital nutrients.
- 10 minutes
- 40 minutes
- Best for
- 175 plain flour
- generous pinch of salt
- 100g butter
- 75g demerara sugar
- 50g ground almonds
- 25g butter
- 350g apples, peeled, cored and chopped
- 350g pears, peeled, cored and chopped
- finely grated zest ½ lemon
- 50g caster sugar
- 200g blackberries
- Mix the flour and salt together, and then rub the butter into the flour using your fingers until most of the butter has been absorbed.
- Finally rub in the demerara sugar and ground almonds.
- Melt the 25g butter in a saucepan, add the chopped apples and pears and cook gently until just beginning to soften.
- Stir in the grated lemon zest, sugar and blackberries.
- Transfer to an ovenproof dish (a round Pyrex dish with a diameter of 17cm and depth of 7 cm is ideal).
- Sprinkle over the topping and bake in an oven pre-heated to 200C for 30 minutes or until golden and bubbling.