Apple & Carrot Muffins
These are one of my favourite muffins and they are so easy to make. They are great for breakfast, kid’s lunch boxes or a snack. Using wholemeal flour helps to boost the fibre content and adding grated carrot and apple keeps the muffins moist and gives them a delicious fruit flavour.
- 75g self raising flour and 75g wholemeal flour
- 50g granulated sugar
- 25g dried skimmed milk powder
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- ¼ tsp salt
- 125ml vegetable oil
- 50ml honey
- 50ml maple syrup
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- ½ vanilla essence
- 1 large apple, peeled and grated
- 75g carrots, peeled and grated
- 75g raisins
- Pre-heat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4.
- Combine the flour, skimmed milk powder, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, sugar and ginger in a mixing bowl.
- In a separate bowl, combine the honey, maple syrup, eggs, vegetable oil and vanilla essence. Beat lightly with a balloon whisk until blended.
- Add the grated apple, carrots and raisins to the liquid mixture, pour all of this into the dry ingredients, and stir until just combined.
- Line a muffin tray with paper cups and fill until two-thirds full. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes.
- You can also make mini muffins which are ideal for children; they will take about 15 minutes to bake.