Foods to prevent illness
By serving red meat with dark green leafy vegetables or wholemeal bread, the absorption of the iron from the vegetable sources will be increased by up to three times.
• Vitamin A contained in liver, oily fish, milk, cheese, butter and egg yolks can help prevent infection of the nose, throat and lungs.
• Beta-carotene boosts the immune system against colds and flu. Orange and yellow fruits and vegetables contain high levels. These include carrots, butternut squash, sweet potatoes, Swedes, cantaloupe melons and apricots.
• Salmon and other oily fish provide essential fatty acids that support brain function and the immune system. An oily fish like salmon should be included in our diets at least once a week.
• Iron found in red meats, liver, dried fruits and iron enriched cereals like Weetabix is needed to prevent iron deficiency anaemia. This, sadly is a common condition that is usually preventable. Amongst other things it makes children more susceptible to frequent infections.
• Broccoli is a true Superfood. It is a good source of vitamin C and also contains beta-carotene, iron, potassium, folic acid and anti-cancer phytonutrients.
• Peas are also a SuperVeggie. They are a fantastic source of vitamins A and C, folic acid and B vitamins. Better still- most babies and children love them!