Beautiful cupcake icing ideas for your little chefs
These cupcakes are made using a basic cupcake recipe and your kids will absolutely love baking these during the Summer holidays. It’s the icing that makes them really special so here are some top tips for icing from perfect piping to sparkling sprinkles!
- For perfect piping, first choose a nozzle - large ones for thick swirls, and small ones for delicate little blobs and stars. Put the nozzle in the piping bag, then half fill the bag with icing. Squeeze the bag from the top as your pipe! Remember to practise on a plate first!
- For chocolate swirls, you need a chocolate bar and a potato peeler. Then all you do is run the peeler down the back of the chocolate bar. Shake your curls onto a plate and refrigerate until needed.
- For colour icing, simply mix in a few drops of food colouring. Add a few sprinkles to really add sparkle to your cakes!
- For funny shapes & faces, you can buy ready-made fondant icing at the supermarket. If you want to add colour, knead in a few drops of food colouring. Then roll it out, create a shape and use it to decorate your cupcakes. Fun shapes to make out of fondant icing include butterfly wings, monkey faces and bumble bees! Marshmallows and cookies are also great to use.
- For a healthy twist, add a piece of fruit on top of the icing like raspberries, strawberries and blueberries.
For more step by step cooking recipes for kids, take a look at You Can Cook by Annabel Karmel.